The Natchez Trace Youth Academy (NTYA) is a highly-structured residential treatment facility located in middle Tennessee. Our cognitive behavioral program serves adolescent males, 12-17 years old.
We help residents refocus their thinking patterns in order to improve their actions/ behavior. Each resident receives an Individual Program Plan tailored to meet his particular needs to direct this process of thinking and behavior change.
The Natchez Trace Youth Academy is CARF-accredited and licensed by the Tennessee Department of Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities for Residential and Tennessee Department of Children’s Services for Foster Care.
The Mission of Natchez Trace Youth Academy is to provide the highest quality services to the youth placed in our care in order to allow them the greatest chance of success and to provide those same youth with a positive and enriching environment in which they can learn from their past mistakes. We demonstrate integrity, care, compassion, fairness and consistency in all we do and provide a highly structured program. Accountability and responsibility are the cornerstones of our treatment process.
Our Core Values
The Core Values that we hold most scared and that identify who we are and how we do business are as follows:
Respect – It is the essence of who we are. It is the way we treat our students, each other and visitors. We demonstrate respect in what we say and in what we do.
Our Students – They are the reason we are here. We must never forget they deserve the best from us at all times. We believe that every youth placed in our care is capable of change and is capable of success.
Unselfishness – We must give the best of ourselves while on the job; to our teammates and the students. Always put the needs of the students first, for those you supervise, and then attend to your own needs. Total commitment to the cause is essential.
Integrity – We demonstrate integrity in everything we do, not in just what we say. Integrity is following the program at all times and role modeling positive behaviors. We do not allow inappropriate behaviors toward our students. We speak out when something is wrong. We must encourage honest and open communication.
Knowledge – Know your job. Be technically proficient in demonstrating the program and never veer from it. Remember we are all accountable to the same norms. Know yourself and seek self-improvement. Professional development is an on-going process. Take advantage of training opportunities and never miss an opportunity to teach others.
Care / Compassion – An essential ingredient to success. We must never waiver from this. The students in our care deserve to be treated the way we expect to be treated. We must remember that this is not always a value with the youth we serve. It is imperative that we teach them this attribute.
Initiative – Do what needs to be done when it needs to be done, even without being told to do so. Think ahead and recognize what needs should be met. Doing something is better than doing nothing at all.
The Natchez Trace Youth Academy Team offers:
- Positive Peer Culture Model
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapeutic Approach
- Comprehensive Assessments
- Holistic Program Approach
- Native American Components – Treatment with Tradition
- Trauma Informed Care through use of Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Substance Abuse Education
- Counseling / Specialty Therapeutic Groups
- Individual Therapy / Family Therapy
- Therapeutic Recreational Activities
- On-Campus school with both Special Education and GED components
- Vocational Education Classes to include wood working, small engine repair and HVAC certification and will be adding electrical, telecommunications repair, fiber optics, auto mechanics and job placement
- Comprehensive, Individualized Therapeutic Program to meet the needs and abilities of the student and his family
- Foster Care
What makes Natchez Trace Youth Academy unique:
- Wilderness Setting
- Alpine Tower that is utilized in the high adventure portion of the programming
- Drumming Circle
- Sweat Lodge
- Medicine Wheel
- Talking Circle
- Equine and Pet-Assisted Therapies
- Attending community functions from neighboring cities; State Fair / Football Games / Fishing / Water Park Facilities and numerous opportunities to participate with other facilities in organized sports